Beyond the Manual Trap: Why I Started Using Python to Automate My Engineering Workflow

When I first started working as an engineer, I believed hard work and experience could solve almost any problem. They still matter, but the nature of the job has shifted. On large infrastructure projects in Singapore, I spend just as much time managing information as I do reviewing drawings. Every design update kicks off new coordination issues, new reports, thousands of data points that need checking.

After enough days of repeating the same manual tasks, I noticed something. I wasn't becoming a better engineer. I was becoming better at clicking.

That's what pushed me to learn Python. Not because I wanted to become a programmer — because I wanted more time solving actual engineering problems and less time doing work a computer could handle better than I could.


digital wireframe overlay of trains moving through underground tunnel infrastructure

The Ceiling of Manual Precision

Anyone who's worked on a large tunnel or railway project knows how fast information multiplies. A small design revision can ripple across hundreds of elements and multiple disciplines, and manually checking every change becomes basically impossible. The more repetitive the work, the easier it is to miss something that actually matters.

At some point I stopped asking "how do I check this faster?" and started asking "why am I checking this manually at all?" That shift changed how I approached my entire day.

Coding: The New Swiss Army Knife for Engineers

People ask if learning Python means I'm becoming a programmer. Nope, not really. I still think of myself as an engineer first. Python's just another tool, same category as BIM software or a laser scanner.

I started small — scripts to organize clash reports, validate model parameters, clean up project data automatically. Those small tools added up to real hours saved every week. Instead of sorting spreadsheets or checking a hundred identical items by hand, I got more time for coordination meetings, constructability reviews, the stuff that actually needs engineering judgment.


engineer coding Python script beside tunnel BIM model on dual monitors at night


Building the Foundation for Digital Twins

Automation isn't just about speed. It's about building better data.

A Digital Twin is only as valuable as the information behind the model. If that data's unreliable, even the most polished 3D model loses its value fast.

That's why automation matters so much in modern BIM workflows, I think. Every script that catches a repetitive mistake today is helping build infrastructure data that engineers can actually trust years down the line.

Stop Clicking, Start Creating

Learning Python wasn't easy. Most of my practice happened after work, one script at a time, usually after my family had already gone to bed. Plenty of mistakes along the way, but every small improvement made the next project a bit easier.

Looking back, learning automation's been one of the better career decisions I've made. If your day's full of repetitive work, don't just look for a faster way to do it. Ask first whether it should be manual at all.

The future of engineering belongs to the people building better systems — not the people clicking the fastest.


empty road tunnel with lighting stretching into the distance

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Honest Breakdown of My Monthly Cost of Living in Singapore as a Family of Four (2026 Reality)

What Nobody Tells You About Preschool Hunting in Singapore

What I Learned After Filing My Income Tax in Singapore as a Foreign Professional (2026 Experience)