Driving in Singapore: My Honest Driving Licence Conversion Guide and the Madness of the COE Car Trap
I figured converting my licence would take a weekend, maybe two. It took closer to four months, and somewhere in the middle of it I understood why half the expats I know just give up and stick to Grab permanently. Back in Korea, owning a car is just a default life decision, nobody debates it. Here, the entire system seems built to make you sit down and actually think about whether you want one, the same way I had to sit down and think hard about our household budget in The Honest Breakdown of My Monthly Cost of Living in Singapore as a Family of Four.
The Booking Race Nobody Warns You About
The first wall isn't the test itself, it's getting a seat for it. I opened the ComfortDelGro booking page expecting a slot within a week or two and instead found almost nothing available for close to two months straight. I started checking most mornings before work, the same way you'd refresh a flight sale hoping someone cancels. A slot finally opened on a random Tuesday afternoon and I grabbed it within about ninety seconds of it appearing.
The paperwork stage had its own trap. Traffic Police want your original licence fully in English, and if it isn't, they want a certified translation, not something printed at a random shop near your office. I brought mine straight from the embassy and it still got flipped over and checked twice before anyone accepted it. And there's a real clock attached to all of this. You're allowed to drive here on your home licence for twelve months after landing, and once that window closes without converting, you're technically driving illegally, which is not something you want anywhere near your Employment Pass status. A colleague mentioned he'd cut it dangerously close on his own conversion, and that story is honestly what got me to stop procrastinating and actually book my test.
Passing the theory test and holding a Singapore licence felt genuinely satisfying, like clearing some invisible local rite of passage. Then I started pricing out an actual car, and that's where the numbers stopped making sense.
The COE Number That Made Me Laugh Out Loud
The Certificate of Entitlement is unlike anything I'd dealt with before moving here. It's essentially a ten-year permit just for the right to own a vehicle, and the government deliberately caps how many are issued to keep the roads from seizing up completely. When I first saw quotes pushing past ninety thousand Singapore dollars for the permit alone, I assumed it was a typo or I was misreading the currency. It wasn't, and I wasn't. That number sits on top of the actual car price, and then you're still adding registration fees, import duties, and the ERP gantries that quietly deduct money from your account every time you drive under one during peak hours.
So I ran the actual math, partly out of curiosity and partly to convince myself I wasn't overreacting. A modest used sedan here, once you split the COE cost and loan across the ownership period, lands somewhere around eighteen hundred to twenty-five hundred dollars a month in fixed cost alone, before a single litre of petrol. Add fuel and ERP charges and you're looking at another few hundred dollars monthly, plus parking and maintenance stacked on top. I compared that against taking Grab everywhere, twice a day, every single day including weekends. Even at that level of daily use, the ride-hailing total still came in lower than what a car eats up in fixed cost by itself. That was the moment the decision basically made itself.
Two Things That Actually Helped
If you're weighing this yourself, start the BTT booking process in your first three months here, not your eleventh, because the good slots disappear fast and the twelve-month deadline creeps up quicker than it feels like it should. And be honest with yourself about why you actually want a car. Back home it reads as a quiet status marker. Here, keeping that cash liquid feels like the bigger flex to me now, especially after going through the deposit fight I wrote about in Quitting Our Jobs, Fleeing a Pandemic, and Fighting Landlords: My Raw 6-Year Singapore Survival Story, where every spare dollar of breathing room genuinely mattered. Even at work, that same instinct to track every detail closely shows up when I'm managing structural coordination against LTA standards, which I covered in Deep Dive into Singapore BIM Management: Surviving LTA Standards and Structural Coordination.
Why I Still Haven't Bought One
I don't regret converting the licence, even the annoying parts of it. Having it gives me options, road trips up to Malaysia, renting something for a weekend without worrying about paperwork at the counter. But actually buying a car here would have been an ego decision dressed up as a practical one, and Singapore has a funny way of exposing that kind of thinking the moment you sit down with real numbers instead of vibes. These days when I see someone showing off a new COE car online, I mostly just think about what that ninety thousand dollars could be doing sitting in an index fund instead. Grab shows up in five minutes anyway, and I never once have to think about where to park it.
Related reading:
The Honest Breakdown of My Monthly Cost of Living in Singapore as a Family of Four
Comments
Post a Comment