What I Learned After Filing My Income Tax in Singapore as a Foreign Professional (2026 Experience)
Working in Singapore as an Employment Pass holder gets sold as a financial win before you even arrive — low tax rates, world-class infrastructure, the whole pitch. And honestly, a lot of that pitch is true. But after going through another tax filing season here, I've come to see the math a little differently than I did when I first moved. I remember sitting with the IRAS portal open my first year, genuinely pleased with how low the numbers looked, before I understood what wasn't being subtracted from anywhere.
The headline tax rates really do look friendly at first glance. What nobody mentions upfront is that Singaporean citizens and permanent residents get access to a wide range of deductions and rebates that non-citizens simply don't qualify for. You end up paying something closer to the raw, unfiltered rate while managing a household budget that has none of the local subsidies built in. It's a very different experience once you're actually filing than the recruiting brochures make it sound.
The Gap Nobody Warns You About
When you first pull up the Inland Revenue Authority's tax brackets, they look genuinely reasonable — starting at zero percent and scaling up gradually. The real friction isn't the bracket structure itself. It's the total absence of subsidy offsets available to foreigners.
I ran into the same underlying pattern when I wrote about preschool costs a while back — the lack of childcare subsidies for non-citizen families pushes monthly expenses up in a way that catches people off guard. The exact same logic shows up at tax time. As a foreign professional, you don't qualify for the Parenthood Tax Rebate or the Working Mother's Child Relief that colleagues holding citizenship or PR status use to knock their taxable income down significantly. You're paying the headline rate, full stop. If you want to see exactly how those brackets scale, SRS contributions and tax relief | IRAS.
The first time a local colleague mentioned casually how much their rebates had brought their effective rate down, I genuinely thought I'd misunderstood something in my own filing. I hadn't. That's just the actual gap between what citizens and foreigners pay once you get past the headline bracket numbers.
What This Actually Looks Like at Different Income Levels
To make this concrete rather than abstract, here's roughly how tax and major fixed costs stack up for a typical EP-holding family at a few different income points.
At around SGD 80,000 in annual taxable income, the baseline IRAS tax comes to roughly SGD 3,350. At that level you're usually looking at a basic condo room rental, standard commuting costs, and fairly lean single-person living expenses layered on top.
Move up to SGD 120,000, and the tax bill jumps to around SGD 7,950. That income bracket typically comes with a full family condo lease, standard utility accounts, and regular grocery spending for a household rather than one person.
At SGD 160,000 and above, tax payable climbs past SGD 13,950. By this point you're usually covering a full four-person household, non-subsidized school fees, and things like quarterly aircon servicing contracts that landlords increasingly expect tenants to maintain.
This is exactly why getting your lease terms right matters so much. If small details slip through during a move, as I found out the hard way and wrote about separately, a withheld deposit landing on top of an unexpected tax bill can genuinely drain your emergency cash reserves faster than you'd expect.
Two Things That Actually Helped
Without access to citizen-level rebates, there are still a couple of legitimate ways to manage your tax exposure as a foreigner here.
The Supplementary Retirement Scheme is the single most useful one I've found. Foreigners can contribute up to a capped amount annually through a local bank account with DBS, OCBC, or UOB, and every dollar contributed gets deducted directly from your taxable income for that year. The Supplementary Retirement Scheme | Ministry of Finance, and it's genuinely one of the more effective legal ways EP holders can drop into a lower bracket.
The other thing worth checking is how your company structures any housing allowance. Some packages fold the housing allowance straight into your gross taxable salary, which quietly inflates your tax bill. It's worth asking HR whether they use a rent benefit structure where the company leases the unit directly instead, since depending on how your package is set up, that can sometimes result in a noticeably lower tax assessment. I only found this out by asking directly during a compensation review, and it genuinely hadn't occurred to me to check before that conversation.
Look at the Net, Not the Headline Number
Singapore is still a genuinely good place to build a career and raise a family safely. But the "low tax" headline only tells part of the story if you stop reading there. What actually matters is your net yield — gross salary, minus the real IRAS bill, minus the non-subsidized costs of rent and schooling that don't show up in any recruiting pitch. Once you map that out honestly, you get a much clearer picture of what your actual financial runway looks like here.
I still think moving here was the right call for our family, for what it's worth. But I wish someone had walked me through this exact math before I signed my first employment contract, instead of letting me piece it together across a couple of tax seasons on my own. If you're weighing an offer here, run these numbers before you accept, not after your first filing deadline catches you off guard.
Related reading:
Comments
Post a Comment