Why I Learned to Fight Every Hospital Bill in Singapore After My Daughter's First Fever

It was 2am and my daughter's forehead felt like a stove. 39.4 on the thermometer. I was standing in the kitchen in my boxers holding a box of paracetamol suppositories, half-panicking, half-annoyed at myself for not knowing what to do even though this was our second kid. Back in Korea this is nothing. You walk to the clinic downstairs, pay maybe fifteen bucks, done. Here I genuinely didn't know if I was about to spend fifty dollars or five hundred, and that uncertainty at 2am with a screaming toddler is its own special kind of stress that nobody warns you about before you move.

We ended up fine that night. GP clinic, some medicine, home by nine. But it planted a question in my head that I've been slowly answering ever since, mostly by getting it wrong first.

Fever medicine and children's medication at home in Singapore

The Three Doors

There are really three places you can end up when a kid gets sick here, and which one you pick matters more than people realize.

The private GP under our block. Convenient, always open, doctor sees you in twenty minutes tops. Great, except the pricing is basically whatever the clinic feels like charging that day. I didn't know this until a friend mentioned her clinic charges $15 more per visit than mine for literally the same consultation. No regulation on it. And they mark up the medicine hard — a bottle of kids' cough syrup that's $6 at Guardian somehow becomes $18 at the clinic counter.

Polyclinic is the budget move. Genuinely cheaper. But the wait. If you don't grab a slot on the app the second it opens in the morning, you're looking at hours in a packed room with a sick kid on your lap who wants to touch every surface and every other kid's toys. I did this once with my older daughter and swore never again, then did it again three months later because I forgot how bad it was.

Then A&E, and this is where people actually lose real money. Private hospital emergency room just to walk in the door and get looked at — hundreds of dollars before a doctor's even said a word to you. Unless something is genuinely wrong, skip it. If it truly can't wait, KKH is the public route. Four, sometimes six hours waiting. Miserable. But your wallet survives it.

Why My First Insurance Claim Got Rejected

Here's the mistake that actually cost me money, and it wasn't picking the wrong clinic.

I paid a bill, got a receipt, filed it with our corporate insurance, and figured that was that. Rejected. Turns out a receipt that just says "Medical Services: $150" means nothing to them. What you actually need is called an itemised bill — every line broken out, consultation fee separate from medication separate from any test they ran. I found this out the annoying way, eighty-five dollars gone, standing at the clinic counter the next morning asking the receptionist to reprint something properly while she gave me this look like, everyone learns this eventually, buddy.

Submitting an itemised medical bill for insurance claim in Singapore

Now I ask for it every time before I even pay. Feels a little awkward still, honestly, like I'm being that guy. But I'd rather be that guy than eat another charge.

GP Visit vs Public and Private A&E: What It Actually Costs

Once I started paying attention, the numbers told their own story. A regular visit to our GP for something like a flu, medicine included, runs about seventy to a hundred and thirty dollars depending on the clinic and what they push on you. KKH's A&E registration plus basic tests lands somewhere around a hundred and forty to a hundred and eighty, which sounds worse on paper but honestly covers more ground than the GP visit does. Private hospital emergency room for the exact same complaint? Four hundred easily, sometimes climbing past eight hundred once they add specialist fees and observation time. For a fever. A regular, ordinary fever.

Two Habits That Actually Saved Us Money

First one — I stopped buying medicine straight from the clinic counter. You're allowed to just take the prescription paper and walk it to a pharmacy. Guardian, Watsons, whatever's nearby. Same medicine, way less markup. This slots right into the same mindset I wrote about in How to Buy Korean Groceries and Essential Supplies at the Lowest Prices in Singapore — not paying convenience tax on things you don't have to.

Second one, and this took longer to learn: check the itemised bill before you tap your card, every single time, and make sure every family member's name on it matches the insurance card exactly. A friend of mine got a claim bounced because her son's middle name was spelled differently on the two documents. Tiny thing. Real money lost. It's the same paranoid, check-everything mindset that got our deposit back when we were fighting a landlord in Toa Payoh, which I went into properly in Quitting Our Jobs, Fleeing a Pandemic, and Fighting Landlords: My Raw 6-Year Singapore Survival Story.

I used to just pay whatever number was on the receipt and move on with my day. That guy is gone. These days I ask the awkward questions at the counter, I double check names on documents, I walk out with prescriptions instead of overpriced bottles of syrup. None of this is complicated once you know it. The annoying part is that nobody tells you any of it upfront, so every parent here ends up learning the same lessons the same expensive way, one bad night and one rejected claim at a time. If this saves even one other 2am kitchen panic from turning into a wasted eighty-five dollars, it was worth writing down.

Related reading:

The Honest Breakdown of My Monthly Cost of Living in Singapore as a Family of Four

Quitting Our Jobs, Fleeing a Pandemic, and Fighting Landlords: My Raw 6-Year Singapore Survival Story

How to Buy Korean Groceries and Essential Supplies at the Lowest Prices in Singapore

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Honest Breakdown of My Monthly Cost of Living in Singapore as a Family of Four (2026 Reality)

What Nobody Tells You About Preschool Hunting in Singapore

What I Learned After Filing My Income Tax in Singapore as a Foreign Professional (2026 Experience)