Why I Finally Dumped StarHub After Six Years of Overpaying for a SIM Card
I did the thing every new arrival does. Landed at Changi, half-jetlagged, grabbed whatever SIM the airport kiosk was pushing, and just kept renewing it out of pure inertia for years. Singtel first, then StarHub once a colleague convinced me their coverage was better underground. I never once sat down and actually compared what I was paying against what I could be paying, the same blind spot I mapped out properly when I finally did the math on our whole household budget in The Honest Breakdown of My Monthly Cost of Living in Singapore as a Family of Four. Telecom bills are one of those things you just let auto-debit and never look at again.
A friend mentioned Giga almost in passing, some no-contract digital telco that runs on the StarHub network but skips the retail markup. I was skeptical. Cheap usually means something's missing.
It's Literally the Same Network
This part actually surprised me. Giga doesn't own towers, it's what's called an MVNO, buying bulk capacity from StarHub and reselling it without the overhead of physical stores. I braced myself for worse coverage on the MRT or dead zones in certain condos, and genuinely could not tell a difference. Same signal underground, same speed at home, same everything, just without the shop rental costs baked into my bill every month.
The porting process is where I expected friction and found none. You open the app, select port-in, type your existing number, and a physical SIM shows up at your door within about two days. No queue at a mall counter, no awkward conversation with a StarHub rep trying to talk you out of leaving. My old line just switched off automatically the moment the new one activated, and there was maybe a ten-minute gap where I had no signal at all, which honestly might have just been my phone restarting.
What We Actually Pay Now
My main line runs $10.19 a month. That gets me 100GB of 4G data, 300 minutes of talktime, 300 texts, free caller ID, and unused data rolls over into the next month instead of just vanishing, which by itself feels like a small miracle after years of watching data reset to zero every billing cycle regardless of how little I'd used. There's also 2GB of Asia roaming baked in, which has saved me from buying separate travel SIMs on a couple of trips back to Korea.
We added a second line for a family device at $3.97 a month, 10GB data-only, same rollover feature. Compare that against what StarHub was charging me before, somewhere north of $50 a month for a plan that offered less data and zero rollover, and the gap isn't subtle. It's the difference between two coffees a month and what used to feel like a real line item in our budget.
One Thing I'd Tell Anyone Landing Here New
Skip the tempting tourist SIM packs at the airport kiosks. They're priced for convenience, not value, and you're basically paying a premium for the privilege of not having to think for ten minutes. Grab the cheapest prepaid option you can find just to survive your first week, then once your Employment Pass and residential address are sorted, switch straight to something like Giga and lock in the lower rate for good instead of drifting into a two-year contract out of sheer jetlag-induced laziness the way I did.
It's the same instinct that saved us during the deposit fight I wrote about in Quitting Our Jobs, Fleeing a Pandemic, and Fighting Landlords: My Raw 6-Year Singapore Survival Story, actually check the numbers instead of assuming the bigger, more familiar name is automatically the safer choice. And if you're already trying to cut unnecessary markup out of your monthly spending the way I laid out in How to Buy Korean Groceries and Essential Supplies at the Lowest Prices in Singapore, your phone bill is honestly one of the easiest wins on the whole list. It took me six years to bother switching, mostly out of pure laziness rather than any real loyalty to StarHub, and I genuinely regret not doing it in year one. The math was always this obvious. I just never sat down long enough to actually look at it.
Related reading:
The Honest Breakdown of My Monthly Cost of Living in Singapore as a Family of Four
How to Buy Korean Groceries and Essential Supplies at the Lowest Prices in Singapore
Comments
Post a Comment