How I Got My 100% Condo Rental Deposit Back in Singapore
Moving out always feels like the exciting part — new place, fresh start. In Singapore, though, there's a final hurdle standing between you and that new chapter: the condo handover inspection. For a lot of expats I know, it feels less like handing over keys and more like a tense negotiation with your own deposit hanging in the balance, usually one to two months of rent, which is not a small number when you're already juggling moving costs on top of it.
Landlords and agents here have a reputation for being thorough during that final walkthrough, and it's earned. A tiny scratch on the parquet, a faint mark on the countertop, any small sign of wear can turn into a deduction if you're not prepared. After going through a full handover myself recently and getting every single dollar of my deposit back, here's exactly what I did.
Knowing What You're Actually Liable For
Everything comes down to your original Tenancy Agreement, and understanding the line between fair wear and tear versus actual damage before the inspection day arrives, not during it.
Fair wear and tear covers natural deterioration from ordinary living — faded wall paint, light scuffs on high-traffic floor areas, aging seals around fittings. You're not legally on the hook for any of that. Tenant damage is a different category entirely: deep cracks in glass, burn marks on countertops, unauthorized changes to the unit's structure. That's what actually puts your deposit at risk.
Most standard Singapore leases also include a minor repair clause, usually covering items under roughly SGD 150 to 200. If something small needs fixing, handle it yourself before the inspection rather than letting the landlord bring in their own contractor at a markup you'll end up paying for anyway. I fixed a loose cabinet hinge myself for about fifteen dollars in parts; the agent later mentioned a contractor would have charged closer to eighty just for the callout.
What I Actually Did 48 Hours Before Handover
A couple of days before the walkthrough, I worked through a short list rather than scrambling on the actual morning of the inspection.
Aircon servicing came first. Most leases require proof of regular servicing before handover, so I booked a professional end-of-lease service and kept the physical receipt somewhere I could hand over immediately. Landlords here genuinely ask for this, and not having it is an easy excuse to withhold part of the deposit.
Walls got a quick patch job next. I picked up a small tub of matching paint and touched up nail holes and scuff marks with a mini roller. Leaving visible marks on the walls is exactly the kind of thing that gets used to justify a full repaint charge, which runs several hundred dollars easily.
Appliances got a proper clean too — a descaling cycle on the washing machine, a full wipe-down of the oven, filter traps cleared out on everything built-in. Grease buildup and residue inside appliances get inspected more closely than people expect, and it's an easy thing to overlook until someone's pointing a flashlight into your oven. I'll admit I nearly skipped the oven entirely, assuming nobody actually checks that closely, and then watched the agent open it first thing during the actual walkthrough.
How I Handled the Actual Walkthrough
When handover day came, I treated it less like a casual key return and more like a formal inspection I needed to be ready for.
I pulled up the baseline photos I'd taken the day I first moved in, all still sitting in a folder on my phone. When the agent pointed at a small mark on the countertop, I pulled up the timestamped move-in photo showing the exact same mark already there. Conversation over, no argument needed.
I also hired a registered cleaning company for a full end-of-lease deep clean and handed the invoice to the landlord right at the start of the walkthrough, before any inspection even began. Singapore leases typically require the unit returned in a professionally cleaned state, and having that invoice upfront removed any argument before it could start.
Before I left, I made sure we had a signed handover form, along with a written message confirming the keys were received and stating clearly there were no disputed items. That written record matters — without it, disagreements later have nothing solid to point back to. My deposit landed back in my account within nine business days, right in the normal range of seven to fourteen days most agents quote.
The whole inspection took maybe forty minutes, which honestly surprised me given how much I'd braced myself for it beforehand. I'd heard enough stories from other expats about handovers dragging on for hours over disputed marks that I'd mentally set aside the entire afternoon for it, and instead we were done well before lunch.
What It Actually Comes Down To
Looking back, none of this was complicated. It just required treating the handover like something worth preparing for properly instead of assuming goodwill would carry the day. Document everything as you move in, keep receipts for anything you fix or service, and don't leave the property without something in writing.
Your deposit isn't some gift the landlord is deciding whether to give back. It's already your money. Treating the handover with that mindset, rather than an anxious one, made the whole process feel a lot less stressful than I'd braced myself for going in.
If I'm honest, the version of me who moved to Singapore years ago would have just shown up on handover day, shaken hands, and hoped for the best. This time, having a folder of photos and a stack of receipts ready felt almost excessive while I was doing it. Watching the agent go quiet after checking my move-in photos made it clear that excessive was exactly the right amount of preparation.
Comments
Post a Comment