What I Wish I'd Left Behind When We Packed for Singapore, and What I'd Fight Airport Staff to Keep
We packed our entire life into immigration bags six years ago during actual chaos, borders closing mid-move, sprinting to Incheon with bags so overweight we had to rip them open at the check-in counter and dump things on the floor. I've told that story enough times that I won't drag it out again here, but I bring it up because when you're packing under that kind of pressure, you make decisions in about four seconds that you end up living with for years. Some of those four-second decisions were genuinely good. A lot of them weren't.
The Voltage Trap
Nobody tells you this until you're standing behind your TV with a tangle of adapters that keep sparking slightly when you plug things in. Singapore runs on the UK-style three-pin plug at 230V, and a cheap airport adapter handles a phone charger fine but is not built for anything with real draw, a rice cooker, a hair dryer, anything Korean and high-powered. We fried one adapter within the first month and I remember standing there smelling burnt plastic at eleven at night thinking, great, this is our life now.
What actually works is bringing real Korean multi-tap extension cords, the heavy-duty kind, and running them into a single proper Singapore adapter instead of trying to adapt every single device individually. I wish someone had just told me this plainly before we left instead of me figuring it out through a small electrical scare.
Bedding was another one. We shipped expensive Korean queen-size sheets thinking a queen bed is a queen bed everywhere. It is not. Singapore mattress dimensions run differently, and our sheets sat on the bed for exactly one use before my wife gave up and folded them into storage, where they still are, six years later, taking up space in a cupboard doing nothing.
Five Things I'd Fight to Keep in the Bag
If I somehow had to redo that airport scramble knowing what I know now, here's what I'd actually protect.
Korean children's books, first and always. My older daughter's Korean reading level would be nowhere near where it is if we hadn't brought a stack of picture books and kept adding to it every time family visited. Buying them locally means paying an import markup that makes you wince, and honestly the selection here is thin anyway.
Solid stainless steel kitchenware, specifically the pots and pans we already trusted. Tropical humidity here does something to cheaper kitchen tools, they rust faster than you'd expect, and the budget stuff sold locally just doesn't hold up the same way.
The multi-tap extension leads I already mentioned, plural, because one is never enough once you count up how many Korean appliances end up plugged in around the apartment.
Specific personal care products my wife actually uses, not because Singapore doesn't sell soap, obviously it does, but because tracking down the exact brand and formulation she's used for fifteen years through local e-commerce felt like gambling every single time.
And my mouse and keyboard. Small thing, sounds almost silly writing it out, but I do long stretches of detail work at my desk and the exact same models cost close to double at the electronics malls here for no reason I could ever figure out.
What I Should Have Just Sold Before We Left
The heavy wooden furniture. This is the one that actually hurts a little to admit. We paid real money to ship a solid wood dresser that my wife loved, and within eight months it had started warping slightly at the joints from the humidity, and by year two it had a faint smell we couldn't get rid of no matter what we tried. We should have sold it in Korea and just bought something local, or used the built-in wardrobe space our first condo already had.
Winter clothes, obviously in hindsight, but you don't think about it clearly when you're packing in a panic. Thick coats, wool sweaters, all of it sat in a suitcase under our bed for two years before we finally accepted we were never using any of it here and gave it away.
How We'd Actually Do It Differently
If I were advising past-me, I'd say use a proper sea-freight service for anything heavy instead of stuffing it into airline luggage and eating the overweight fees the way we did during the pandemic scramble. It takes a few weeks longer but it's a fraction of the cost, and it means you're not making split-second decisions about what survives the flight and what gets left behind with a relative.
And honestly, treat the packing list the way you'd treat anything else that actually matters here, the same stubborn double-checking instinct that got our deposit back after that whole landlord fight in Quitting Our Jobs, Fleeing a Pandemic, and Fighting Landlords: My Raw 6-Year Singapore Survival Story. Write the list down properly instead of trusting adrenaline and instinct at midnight the way we did.
It's a strange kind of lesson, spending six years somewhere and realizing the things that actually made the biggest difference to daily comfort were small and unglamorous, a stack of children's books, a working extension cord, a pan that doesn't rust. Not the furniture we agonized over, not the bulk suitcases of clothes we barely wore. Just the boring, practical stuff nobody thinks to warn you about until you're the one standing in a Singapore apartment at midnight, smelling burnt plastic, wishing someone had just told you plainly before you left.
Related reading:
The Honest Breakdown of My Monthly Cost of Living in Singapore as a Family of Four
Comments
Post a Comment