The Three Months I Spent Terrified My Employment Pass Wouldn't Get Renewed
MOM opens the renewal window six months before expiry. Nobody at my company had ever laid that out for me plainly. Turns out it's sort of true that HR handles it quietly, except they need things from you first, and if you're slow, the whole thing stalls right when you can least afford it to.
Here's what actually got under my skin. Singapore runs EP approvals through something called COMPASS now, a points system, not just a salary cutoff. The minimum qualifying salary sits at S$5,600 a month for most sectors in 2026, S$6,200 if you're in financial services, but clearing that number doesn't mean anything by itself. You need 40 points total across salary, qualifications, your company's ratio of local to foreign hires, and workforce diversity. Passing once does not mean passing again. A colleague three years senior to me got flagged during his renewal purely because his company's local hiring ratio had dropped since his last approval. Nothing about his job changed. Nothing about him changed. The company's number moved, and that was enough to nearly drag his score under 40.
That's the part nobody explains to you. You can do everything right and still get pulled up because your employer's aggregate numbers shifted.
What HR actually needed from me was boring. Passport photo page. Proof of my degree, since it hadn't been re-verified since my original application years back. Confirmation my salary still cleared the age-adjusted bar for my bracket. I went looking for my old diploma and found it in a moving box we never fully unpacked from six years ago. My wife asked what I was doing crouched in the storeroom at nine at night. I said "immigration thing," which wasn't really an answer, and she just said "of course it is" and went back to folding laundry.
There's a piece of this I hadn't thought through until a friend brought it up over dinner. My wife's Dependant's Pass and both my daughters' Long-Term Visit Passes are tied directly to my EP. If mine lapses, theirs technically go with it. That single sentence changed how seriously I took the whole thing.
Once HR actually files it through EP eService on myMOM Portal, the whole thing goes quiet. No countdown. No notification pinging your phone. Your HR admin submits it, and then you just wait. I messaged our HR person twice in the first two weeks, purely out of nerves, asking if everything looked fine. Both times: yes, processing normally, nothing to worry about. MOM's stated window is one to three weeks. Mine took twelve days.
Twelve days doesn't sound long written down. It felt long. I checked my personal email more than my work email that fortnight, which is backwards, and I knew it was backwards while I was doing it.
The actual approval came on a Tuesday afternoon, mid coordination meeting, phone face-down on the table. I flipped it over during a lull and saw the subject line. Pass renewed. That was it. No exclamation point, nothing dramatic. I read it twice to make sure I wasn't misreading "renewed" for something else, then put my phone back down and went back to arguing about a clash report like nothing had happened, because nothing had, to anyone else in that room.
Three months of low-grade dread, gone in four words I nearly missed.
If you're heading into your own renewal window, mark the six-month date the moment your current EP cycle starts, don't wait for a pantry conversation to tip you off. And ask HR directly, in writing, exactly what they need from you and by when. It's mostly their process. It's the small percentage that isn't where things go sideways.
MOM's own EP eService page actually explains the renewal mechanics better than any single conversation I had with HR: Employment Pass (EP) eService – Ministry of Manpower
Same pattern as everything bureaucratic here, honestly. The paperwork itself is fine. It's the silence around the timeline that gets people, the same silence I ran into filing my own income tax and again converting my driving licence.
Related reading:
What I Learned After Filing My Income Tax in Singapore as a Foreign Professional
Why I Converted My Driving Licence in Singapore but Still Refuse to Buy a Car
Comments
Post a Comment