Two PR Applications, Two Rejections, and No Reason Given Either Time

The text message came on a Tuesday in January. Nine words, roughly. There is an update on the status of your application, log on to ICA e-Services for more details.

That's it. That's how you find out. No indication in the message itself whether it's good news or bad, so you're logging in already knowing your heart rate is doing something stupid.

It was a rejection. Our second one.

Two Applications, Two Rejections

The first went in on 17 June 2024. Rejected 15 November 2024, so about five months.

The second went in on 30 May 2025. That one took nearly eight months before the text arrived on 20 January 2026.

Both times, all four of us applied together, me, my wife, and both daughters. Both times, no reason given. Singapore doesn't tell you why, and I want to be clear that this isn't a complaint about unfairness, it's just how the system works. ICA assesses on a basket of factors and doesn't publish which one you fell short on. You get a yes or a no and that's the entire feedback loop.

The second rejection hurt considerably more than the first, and I'll explain why.

I was at my desk when it came through. Read it, put the phone face down, finished what I was doing, then went and logged in properly about twenty minutes later because I wanted to be somewhere I could react without an audience. Told my wife that evening. Neither of us said much about it that night, honestly. We'd both already been quietly certain enough that there wasn't a lot left to discuss.

ICA e-Service permanent residence application portal screenshot

We Overprepared the Second Time

The timing gap between the two applications wasn't accidental either. After the first rejection you're allowed to reapply whenever, there's no cooling-off period and no cap on attempts, but going straight back in with the same profile felt pointless. We waited about six months and used that time to accumulate the additional documentation.

After the first rejection I assumed we'd simply been light on documentation. So the second round, we went well beyond what ICA actually asks for.

School enrolment certificates for both girls. Records of charitable donations. Certified English translations notarised at the embassy, including documents nobody had requested. If there was a plausible argument that a piece of paper demonstrated we were rooted here rather than passing through, it went in the folder.

Every supporting document has to be a certified true copy, not a photocopy, and anything not in English needs an official translation from an embassy, a notary public, or a translator whose work is separately attested. That part alone eats time you don't expect it to. The embassy trip alone took most of a morning off work, queuing with a stack of certificates and a slightly anxious feeling that I'd forgotten one of them at home.

We applied under the PTS scheme, which is the standard route for Employment Pass and S Pass holders, through ICA's e-Service using Singpass. The application fee is S$100 per applicant, non-refundable regardless of outcome. Four applicants, twice now.

I genuinely thought we'd done it. My wife thought so too, which is the part that stings in hindsight, because we'd talked about it enough times that it had stopped feeling like a hope and started feeling like a reasonable expectation.

The Waiting Is Its Own Thing

ICA states applications are processed within six months. Our first came back inside that. Our second ran well past it, closer to eight, and by month six I'd convinced myself the extended wait meant something.

It didn't. I know this now. A long wait doesn't mean they're deliberating carefully in your favour any more than a short one means they binned it immediately. There's no signal in the timing at all, but you will absolutely try to read one, because there's nothing else to read.

There's no progress bar. No status beyond submitted. Just months of ordinary life with a low background hum of something unresolved, and then one Tuesday a text message with no emotional content whatsoever.

checklist and document folder for permanent residence application on dining table

What We're Doing Differently for the Third

We're applying again around September this year.

Two things have changed since January, and both matter. My wife has a new Employment Pass with a new company. I've had a change in position at work.

Whether either of those moves the needle, I have no idea. That's the honest answer and I'd rather say it plainly than pretend I've cracked some code. ICA weighs economic contribution, qualifications, age, family profile, and how long you've actually been putting down roots. It isn't a points system like COMPASS is for Employment Passes, where you can calculate exactly where you stand. It's a judgement call by people you'll never speak to.

What I've stopped doing is trying to guess which specific factor sank us. Two rejections with no stated reason and no pattern I can identify, and I've concluded that reverse-engineering it is a good way to lose sleep for no return.

One thing I would tell anyone considering this, if you have sons, PR brings a National Service obligation once they turn sixteen and a half. We have daughters so it doesn't apply to us, but it came up repeatedly in conversations with other families and it isn't something to discover halfway through.

The Part Nobody Writes About

Almost every PR account online is a success story. Applied, waited, approved, here's my timeline, good luck everyone.

I understand why. Nobody's rushing to write up a rejection. But it means that when you're the one refreshing the portal after being told no twice, the internet is mostly other people's good news, which is a strange thing to be reading while you're on the wrong side of it.

So here's a rejection account, for whatever it's worth to someone in the same position. Two applications. Two nos. No explanations. A folder of notarised translations that apparently wasn't the issue, or was, we'll never know.

We're going again in September. Not because I've figured out what was missing, but because the alternative is deciding we're done here, and we're not. Both girls are in school here. This is where our week happens. If it takes a third application, or a fourth, that's the process working the way it works rather than anything personal.

I'll write the next one either way, approved or not. Especially if not.

For anyone starting this themselves, ICA's own page on eligibility, documents and fees is the only source worth trusting for the mechanics: Becoming a Permanent Resident – Immigration & Checkpoints Authority. Everything else, including this, is one household's experience and nothing more.

Related reading:

The Three Months I Spent Terrified My Employment Pass Wouldn't Get Renewed

What I Learned After Filing My Income Tax in Singapore as a Foreign Professional (2026 Experience)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Honest Breakdown of My Monthly Cost of Living in Singapore as a Family of Four (2026 Reality)

What Nobody Tells You About Preschool Hunting in Singapore

What I Learned After Filing My Income Tax in Singapore as a Foreign Professional (2026 Experience)